Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Belt Carry-Part 2

The third item of kit that I have on my belt is what people often refer to as a possibles pouch. It is just a small bag in which I keep some small items. For that purpose I use a container that I found at an army surplus store tagged as a jungle binoculars container. Just about any container that you can hang from your belt will do the trick.



I have a number of small items inside. I have tried to organize them to the best of my ability.

Here is the list:


Top Row From Left to Right

Tools Envelope

Button compass-There are many on the market. Make sure to get one that is liquid filled. They are of much higher quality.
Commando wire saw-These are higher quality than a basic wire saw. I am always shocked how quickly they can cut through wood. In case you are left with just your belt kit, the combination of commando saw and knife will serve you well.
Small ferro rod-Just a back up fire starting method in case I leave the larger ferro rod somewhere after using it.

DC4 sharpening stone-It is small, but it gets the job done. I use it for both my knife and axe.

First Aid Envelope

Assorted Band Aids-I bumped across these Band Aids that already contain antibiotic. They come in sizes from 2in x 4in and below. I carry an assortment of them.
Razor blade
Fresnel magnifying glass-Size 2in x 4in. It is also very good for starting fires.
Adhesive tape
Two squares of gauze-Size 2in x 2in. Between the gauze and the adhesive tape, you can bandage a decent size cut or wound.

Water Purification Envelope

16 Katadyn water purification tablets (chlorine dioxide)-Chlorine dioxide is the only chemical on the market that will kill protozoans such as Giardia and Cryptosporidium as well as bacteria and viruses. The down side is that it can take up to four (4) hours to kill Cryptosporidium. All the other pathogens however are killed fairly quickly.
Sheet of aluminum foil-Size 2ft x 4 ft. It can be used to boil water or cook. It’s not ideal because it loses strength in the flames, but it’s better than nothing.
Three plastic bags for water storage-Many people carry condoms for storing water. I find these bags to be a lot more durable and they pack to about the same side. These are simply bags that you get in the grocery store for fruits and vegetables. They are the ones on a roll in that section of the supermarket.

Second Row From Left to Right

Film canister containing cotton and Vaseline fire starter/tinder-For more details on this form of fire starter, have a look here.

Film canister containing fishing kit and sewing kit-I carry an assortment of needles, string, fishing line, hooks and lures.

A roll of duct tape-You can never go wrong with ducks tape. It can also be sued to repair holes in you water carrying bags that I listed above.

Pills envelope-Bring the pills that you are likely to need and use.

Fenix E01 flashlight and spare battery-For a review on the flashlight, have a look here.

Third Row From Left to Right

A BIC lighter (white)-This is the most underrated fire starter you can get. With a lighter you can start a fire without much experience and under very difficult conditions. I know other ways seem more worthy of the woods, but this is the sure way to do it. Some people complain that lighters can fail, but in reality the likelihood of that is a lot lower that you falling off a cliff. Get the white lighter because you can see how much fuel you have left.

An “Army” size ferro rod-This is a fun way to start fires. You need some experience to use it effectively, but because it has no moving parts, eventually, you will be able to start a fire with it. For tips on using a ferro rod, take a look here.

Box of waterproof and windproof matches

Two bundles of artificial sinew-This is some of te best cordage I have been able to find. It packs in a very small bundle, but is strong enough for shelter building.

So these are the items I carry on my belt. The only additional item I have on me other than clothing is a bandana.

These items constitute things that I would not want to be without as well as items that I use frequently. There are some emergency items, in case I am separated from my pack, but many are simply things I reach for often.

One item that you might consider adding to the above kit is a plastic bag or an emergency poncho. It is a very valuable item for shelter building. So far I have not been able to comfortably integrate it into my kit (without stuffing it in). I like my items to be fairly loosely packed so I can access them easily. I don’t want my possibles pouch to turn into an emergency kit. If however you can find a way to bring such an item, it would be a good use of your space.

When selecting what to bring, make sure the items make sense to you.