Thursday, November 8, 2012

First Snow of the Year… Not the Best Time for a Snow Storm

So, just as some parts of NY/NJ were starting to recover from the hurricane, we got our first snow of the year. It wasn’t anything severe, just a few inches, but with all the problems the hurricane created, the issues just piled on.

I barely managed to get back home from the office last night. It took me three and a half hours because they shut down the railroad. This morning it seems to be running on its modified, post hurricane schedule again.

I still don’t have power, so no cable, internet, or phone service in my area. When I finally got home, I figured I would make the best of the situation, and decided to spend part of the night out. I have a pair of new rain pants, and I wanted to see how well they do in the snow. Sorry for the poor quality pictures. It was night time, and I have no idea how to take night time pictures.

011-2

I’ve also been eager to start winter testing of my Kovea Spider stove. I took it out and melted some snow. It performed very well, although, the temperatures were not much below 30F (0C).

029-2

My tiny new Black Diamond Gizmo head lamp also performed well. I was worries about it’s low output, but it was more than enough.

Anyway, just wanted to give you an update. Still no power or internet access at home, so posts will continue to be limited. Things seem to be getting back to normal, so I expect power to be back on soon, unless the snow makes things worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment