Monday, August 11, 2014

Trip Report: Delaware River Trout Fishing 8/9/14 – 8/10/14

I’ve been trying to get more on top of my fishing game lately, so this past weekend my friend Rich and I decided to go after some trout. Reports indicated that the upper west branch of the Delaware river had some good activity, so that’s where we headed.

We started out relatively early, picked an easily accessible spot, and got to work.

Copy of IMG_9836

I’m a horrible fly fisherman, so Rich had to babysit me for the first hour or so. He landed a trout in the process. Shortly after I landed one as well.

Copy of IMG_9854

Copy of IMG_9851

Even though the morning started out well, the action didn’t last. It certainly wasn’t due to lack of fish. There were trout everywhere. There were a lot of insects hatching, and the trout were visibly feeding on the surface. The two catches that we did get were on dry flies. Whether it was the abundance of food, or that we didn’t have the exact pattern fly to match the hatch, we weren’t able to hook anything else for the rest of the day.

We fished until the sun started going down. We tried a few different locations, but eventually had to call it a day.

IMG_9888 

Camp was about twenty minutes away, but by the time we got there it was completely dark. We put on our headlamps and set up for the night.

IMG_9891

IMG_9910

I put my new stove through the paces. It worked out great.

IMG_9909

I had been dealing with a cold all weekend, so I was very tired. I passed out as soon as I got in the sleeping bag.

The next morning we got up early, well, I got up early and eventually woke up Rich.

IMG_9934

I occupied myself for a bit with picking raspberries. There were a few left, but they were good.

IMG_9921 

After that it was back to fishing. We picked a new spot with very little surface activity, and tried nymphing. Rich was first to hook up with a Czech nymphing set up.

Copy of IMG_9977 

I had a few hits as well using a single nymph.

Copy (2) of IMG_9968

We managed to get a fair number of trout, all of them below the surface. And when i say we, I mean Rich got about a dozen, and I got two.

After that we headed back home. We’ll give it another try next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment